Admissions Requirements

Standard Admission Requirements

English Proficiency Requirement for International Students

If English is not your native language, or you have not had three years of your secondary education taught in English, you will be required to provide proof of your English proficiency. Since nearly every class at a U.S. university is taught in English, you must demonstrate your ability to read, hear, write, and speak English sufficiently.

Most U.S. colleges use the TOEFL test to measure your English proficiency. This exam is given year-round at permanent testing centers around the world. Three versions of the test are given – though be aware that most U.S. universities these days only accept scores of the two of them:

  • The TOEFL PBT (paper-based test)
  • The TOEFL iBT (internet-based test)

At the baccalaureate level (college or university), a minimum of 500 on the paper-based test or 61 on the internet-based test is required on most U.S. campuses. Check with your desired school(s) to find out the specific required score(s).

At the post-baccalaureate level (graduate school), minimum scores of 550 (PBT) or 80 (iBT) are required on most campuses. Check with your desired school(s) to find out the specific required score(s).

Should you need to take the TOEFL test, we at USIEC recommend that you take the necessary version of it as soon as possible. There are registration deadlines for the TOEFL exam, and score results take approximately 2-5 weeks to be revealed. Educational Testing Service (ETS), the company that operates the TOEFL test, will send your scores directly to each school to which you are applying. Make sure to request this service in order to expedite the process. For more information about the TOEFL test, go to

Academic Records Requirement for International Students

The campus will evaluate your high school or secondary school work as part of their admission determination unless you have completed 60 semester units of transferable college work (generally, two years of study). You are required to provide all official academic records from any postsecondary institution you have attended and your secondary or high school records if required.

In the U.S., the academic record is usually referred to as a “transcript.” These documents may be called something else in other countries – leaving certificate, maturity certificate, bachillerato, or baccalauréat.

It is very important that your academic records and examination scores be sent as early as possible. The campus review of your application cannot begin until all of your academic records are received. Official academic records from foreign institutions must be on file at least eight weeks before registration for the first term and, if not written in English, must be accompanied by certified English translations. Many campuses require official records sooner. Contact the campus international admission office to learn about deadlines.

contact us

Please feel free to contact us with any inquiries.

US Office

(626) 307-2626

223 E. Garvey Ave. Suite 268
Monterey Park, CA 91755 USA

Dalian Office

223 E. Garvey Ave. Suite 268
Monterey Park, CA 91755 USA